Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Driving Impressions

  • The ride is noticeably rougher. Not in an unbearable, holy-crap-something-is-about-to-break kind of way, but in a locked-down purposefulness. When going over bumps it's as if the suspension is in a mad rush to stop moving. It is impossible to tell which contributed to this the most: suspension or light wheels. The ride height difference in the car is unnoticeable.
  • With the back seats and trunk trim out, it's louder. Road noise is up, wind noise is up, and the exhaust has more of a rushing air sound. I've removed the seats before and hated how loud it was. This time it seems to complement the new immediacy of the suspension. Plus, it has already saved me from having to carry a backseat passenger.
  • Steering response is much quicker. It was quick to begin with.
  • It drives straight now. (I was having problems with it pulling to the right, which was likely tire related) It also seems to have a larger dead center which from what I understand is a trait that all the Si's have. I've never noticed mine because I was always fighting left to keep the car on the road. This dead center might be toe related or because of the wider tires. I'm running 48psi in the front and 45psi in the back. I still need to get the alignment checked.
  • I've tried every trick I can to get the car to upset. I've gotten nothing but mild understeer and fraction of a second of mild oversteer in the most extreme cases.
  • In turn confidence has improved greatly due to the above.
  • They feel just like stock when they are cold, which is until about 3.6 seconds after you fist press the pedal.
  • After they warm up a little, they feel just like the stock when light pressure is applied. - At medium pressure, at highway speeds, the friction increases over time, requiring pressure to be removed from the pedal to maintain steady deceleration. I think this has to do more with the first point beacuase the rotors have cooled back off.
  • At high speed heavy deceleration, they perform with no fade after broken in (but they do smoke the first few times 8P )
  • At low speed light to medium pressure, they grab really well, and often surprise me.
  • At low speed, when coming to a complete stop using light pressure, they squeak just a wee bit.
  • My rotors keep changing colors. Blue, brown, silver, black, and I imagine they were orange there for a few minutes too.
  • The matt black wheels don't show brake dust, and there is a LOT of brake dust on them now.

And now for a few more random pictures:








Eventually I will get some outside pretty just-been-washed pictures, or maybe some action shots!!

No comments: