Thursday, January 18, 2007

Stage II begins

After some reading I have found that other Si owners have had good results with adding some camber to the front wheels. Supposedly this helps dial out some of the understeer that I have experienced with the HFP setup. Though the overall cornering abilty and turn in are much improved, the car still pushes worse now even with the 22mm sway bar.

I have purchased a set of 1.75° camber bolts for this purpose.

While I was e-shopping I also bought a small 12v compressor to replace the spare tire. This, along with a quality plug kit should get me back rolling full speed in the event of a puncture. This will not, however, get me back rolling in the event of a blowout or a failed safari expedition. Risk vs weight.

In an attempt to smooth out the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, I also orderd some Amsoil Syncromesh transmission fluid. I HIGHLY doubt that this is going to eliminate the problems, but it's worth a try.

And just for jollies I also bought a K&N short ram intake. The stock intake is very good in that it pulls air from the fenderwell. It's bad in that it has about 8 miles of tube and resonator chambers. With the SRI, I will get a less restrictive intake at the expense of gulping down hot air at low speeds. After some hard runs, I've put my hand on the stock air box and found it cool to the touch so I'm confident that there is plenty of cool air in there when underway. Since I am looking for more power coming out of corners, rather than coming out of a stoplight, I think that a heat shielded SRI is an acceptable compromise.

The Si has been sitting in the garage for about two weeks undriven due to weather. In that time I have wiped down just about every plastic or rubber surface in the car with 303 Aerospace protectant and vacuumed out the interior. I need to jack it up to keep the tires from flat spotting and trickle charge the battery for a night.

No comments: