Thursday, April 5, 2007

Disaster Plan

The stock header has been removed. Glorious victory over my mechanical foes, tube socks and all.



For those of you attempting this feat of endurance, remove everything that can be removed that can possibly come into contact with the header as you remove it. Keep track of your nuts and bolts - there is going to be a lot of them.

I actually ended up using a pet leash around one of the primaries as I removed the last nut from the header so it would not fall. I held the header up with my teethses.

DC race header shows up on Monday. Still no word from any of the local Hondata dealers about sending the ECU off for the reflash. The good news is that I'm going ahead with the reflash too. What does the reflash do, you ask? well:




Notice the massive amount of midrange power increase, and this is in addition to the 8-12hp gains already realized from the intake and header combo. Before, if you shifted before the rev limiter at 8300, you would fall off the big cam and end up in the rut, shown in green @ 6000 rpm. After, not only is the rev limiter increased to 8600, but shifting at 7000 rpm puts you back down into meat city around 5200.

Theoretically, the stock 5800 rpm Vtec engagement and gearing will allow you to always be on the big cam. In the real world, you are not going to downshift from 5800 rpm, to 8000 rpm, decel to 7500, accel to 8300 rpm and then have to upshift again. By making the big cam range wider, you downshift less, saving time and making the car faster than if you had just increased the HP. Blah Blah Blah...I know, but seriously: A stock WRX puts about 160-170hp to the ground. By the end of next week I'll be putting at least 210 to the ground in a car that weighs 400lbs less than a WRX, and will out slalom a Viper all for what I would have paid for a WRX. The bang-for-buck ratio would have been great if I hadn't also had to sell my soul to make it happen.

No comments: