Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I forgot what stage I'm on

...must...stop...buying...crap....

Just when I'm on the cusp of getting the car finished, I pull the trigger on an idea that I previously had but gave up on.

I until recently I settled on a mature sounding Tanabe Medalion Touring cat back exhaust and was just seconds away from buying it. Then I saw this Youtube video.

In import car world we have a name for cheap straight-through exhausts that are designed for maximum power gains with little regard for the awful noise they make: Fartcans. They sound like farts, or a bee buzzing. The car in the video is just a straight open exhaust, no muffler, no cat and it sounds amazing. That is the sound that fartcans try to capture, but fail miserably.

Unfortunately, running an open exhaust on the street is tee-minus-ten-minutes-to-ticket-time, even though those bastard Harley swine (sworn enemy of the import driver) get away with it.

Lucky for me, being an engineer and having experience in the lighting industry, I've come up with a solution that I think might just work.

#1: The exhaust cutout.


An exhaust cutout is basically a muffler bypass. Now that my catalytic converter is gone, the most restrictive portion of the exhaust is the muffler. Solution? Weld in this puppy before the muffler. ...but wait there's more.

#2: The cutout controller


This device replaces the momentary toggle switch control with a self calibrating 0-100% device. Most important is the trigger wire that when energized will open the valve to 100% then turn off the motor.

#3: The timer relay

This has a trigger wire too. A momentary or continuous input on the trigger input will start an adjustable timer. During the countdown, a relay contact is closed. This relay will be wired to the trigger on the controller.

The idea is to trigger the timer with the vtec solenoid signal, which will open up the cutout when vtec kicks and for a set amount of time afterwards.

Why? To scare children of course!

No comments: